Monday, September 10, 2007

I Get Invited to the Clintons'

I got an email from Hillary the other day. Yes, Senator Hillary Clinton! It was really nice. We're on a first name basis. She invited me over to her house to hang out and talk about just whatever. I was so excited. I thought to myself, perhaps she has read my blog or some of my work on Francis Bacon. But then I read on, and whammo! Her offer was not what it seemed. My ideals were exposed and mocked, and my trust was shattered. I’ll never love again.

Read this and feel my exhilaration...and my pain.

Dear David,

Let's do lunch. Let's talk, you and me -- about whatever you'd like. Our hopes. Our goals. Our work. The weather. Maybe even politics.

I think it would be fun to have you over for lunch, at my table, in my home in Washington. You and I both know that we need a serious change of direction in this country. So let's sit down for a meal and talk about exactly the best way to make that change a reality.

Of course, that change can't happen if we don't win. So I'm asking you today to demonstrate your commitment to real change by supporting my campaign with a contribution. We're going to choose one supporter to come to my house in DC, along with a guest, to share lunch and talk. And if you contribute between now and midnight Friday, September 7, it could be you.

Click here to make a contribution.

...I'm really looking forward to this conversation. I'll pick up the groceries before you get there. Let's sit down and talk about how to change America!

Sincerely,




Hillary Rodham Clinton

Well, as though that were not enough. Today, I got an email from Bill Himself!


Back on the emotional rollercoaster.

Dear David,


I hear you might be having lunch with Hillary -- do you mind if I drop in?

I've met some of the greatest people of our time from every walk of life. But of all the people I have ever shared a table with, I still learn the most when I sit down to a meal with Hillary.

There's no one smarter, no one better informed, and no one whose conversation I enjoy more. So if you have the chance to sit down and talk with Hillary -- like you do right now -- you don't want to miss it. That's why I'm going to join the two of you.

I know Hillary would be the best president, and you know she's ready to change America. So why not help her win today? The campaign will choose one supporter to have lunch with Hillary and me -- along with a guest -- and if you make a contribution by midnight Friday, September 7, it might just be you.

Click here to make a contribution.

...Thirty-six years ago, Hillary and I started a conversation, and it hasn't stopped since. I hope you'll join our conversation for a day. If you make a contribution by Friday and help Hillary's campaign make history, you might just be sitting down to lunch with the two of us soon. Trust me, you don't want to miss it.

Sincerely,


Bill Clinton


It seems that they are serious about pitching this intimate, nationwide tete-a-tete with Hillary, the open-minded, prospective philosopher-queen who even at this late stage in her life and campaign will not settle on a plan of government without first dialoguing with the people on what justice is, as well as the good, the true and the beautiful.


Of course, when I get these personal emails I'm just swept away every time. I am such a sucker.

1 comment:

Hope said...

Hilarious. Thank you, Dr. Innes.