Friday, January 18, 2008

Perhaps McCain...but Not If Huck's Coming Too

Among my other reservations about John McCain as president (the McCain-Feingold assault not just on free speech, but on political speech at election time!; the Gang of Fourteen; etc.), there is also this fondness that he and Mike "Yet-Another-Man-From-Hope" Huckabee have for one another and the likelihood which that presents of a McCain-Huckabee ticket. Having the Huckster just a heartbeat away from the Oval Office (bullet, stroke, bout with cancer--McCain is 72) is off-putting, to say the least.

Peter Augustine Lawler (Berry College, author of American Political Rhetoric: A Reader as several other fine books) reports this sober defense of Mitt Romney over at No Left Turns.

Oh, and here's Ann Coulter speaking for Romney and flailing the darlings of the Democratic Party who are his closest rivals for the GOP nomination. Go on. You'll have fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, you need to change your template - it is very hard to read. Fortunately I subscribed to you in bloglines so I could read it.

I just wanted to comment... McCain certainly has his weaknesses, and I disagree with several of his positions. I think a McCain - Huckabee ticket would be very formidable. I would prefer a Huckabee-McCain (or other), but tonight's second place finish makes that seem less likely.

You keep hammering on Huckabee, and citing Rich Lowry who has been shilling for Romney isn't the best source of info. Romney has been show numerous times to be dishonest. Are you pulling for him? His record even after his pro-life "conversion" has been spotty, and his backing gay rights legislation at the state level.

RCP shows Romney getting drubbed in head to head match-ups with Clinton and Obama.

David C. Innes said...

I am not really pulling for anyone. I am left as cold as many in the party seem to be with this selection of candidates. You can see in my posts that I lurch this way and that. I alighted first on Thompson, then Rudy, then McCain, and early on I was even open to the single-digit Huckabee and put his donation button on my blog. But I am left simply supporting whoever they nominate. Since I am not unusual in that view, that points to a victory for the Democrats in November.

As for my template, is it all blue type on brown background? If so, the parchment background is not coming up. I've had that problem too. Please let me know.